Sunday, May 22, 2011

UM...SIR...



Why me?? Well I'm sure I'm not the only one, but anyway I was at work having a conversation with one of my coworkers, and as most of you know, I work in a not black anything environment. I was looking at something to post for my Loc'd up ladies and he, in a very nasty tone, said:


"Those look like worms. I don't like those, I hope you don't do that to your hair."


Now. Immediately I was offended because A. it's none of his business what I do to my hair B. no one asked him for his .02¢ and C. that was just straight up rude. We're "cool" (and I use that term loosely) but don't be talking ish about my fellow Naturalites, I don't play that. I just politely {though blessing him out in my head} told him he shouldn't make comments like that because it's offensive and everyone has their own reasons for loc'ing their hair and he needs to respect that.

What really bothers me though is what makes him (or anyone else) think they could say that to anybody about what THEY do with THEIR hair. And because of his tone. It was SO degrading, like HE was offended.

So I'M TELLING YOU your hair is fabulous!! Don't let close minded, negative people get you down or have you thinking otherwise.

But I am curious, how do you handle yourself when confronted with negativity about your Natural hair?

2 comments:

LNW said...

The only negative comment I remember receiving was literally right after I cut my all of my hair off, and it was from some random guy in Wal-Mart. He said "I hate when females do that to their hair." He said it as I was walking away. I just smiled. I receive nothing but compliments from my non-pigmented coworkers. I mean, they absolutely love my hair, even on days when I'm not all that excited about it.

Lady D said...

Same here. For the most part they LOVE my hair and get just as excited about what I'm gonna do to it next, lolol.