Monday, June 21, 2010

WHAT TYPE OF NATURAL ARE YOU? Part 3


I know I know...I've been gone for a minute, but I'm back for us TYPE 4 SISTERS! This is near and dear to MY heart because LAWD KNOWS this hair ain't nothing to play with :)

Type 4 hair

- Kinky, or very tight curl or zig-zag pattern

- Quite fine, it is wiry and delicate

- Has fewer cuticle layers than any other hair type, which means that it has less natural protection from the damage you inflict by combing, brushing, curling, blow-drying and straightening it

- Known to shrink up to 75% of the actual hair length

- The driest hair type, thus it is more prone to breakage

Subtypes

4a: Tightly coiled hair that, when stretched, has an "S" pattern, much like curly hair. It tends to have more moisture than 4b; has a definite curl pattern

4b: Has a "Z" pattern, less of a defined curl pattern. Instead of curling or coiling, the hair bends in sharp angles like the letter "Z"; has a cotton-like feel


Tips for Type 4s

- Use styling creams, butters and oils

- Detangle hair with a lot of conditioner in your hair and use a comb or detangling brush

- Let hair air dry or use a hood dryer

- Do not use a brush or comb on your dry curls

- Reduce tangles by sleeping on a satin pillowcase or wrap hair in a satin cap

- Add moisture, daily - dry hair breaks

- Avoid mineral, and petrolatum oil and heavy waxes.


Our hair point of Reference:

4a:

**IHEARTJILL**



4b:

3 comments:

langleyanneregina@yahoo.com said...

Yep! I'm a combination 4a-b. My treatment consists of warm olive oil on my scalp and hair under a plastic cap every Friday night. At noon on Saturday, I shampoo and do a deep conditioner with hair mayonnaise with a little extra evoo in it for two hours. Rinse and air dry. Then, I oil my scalp, comb it flat and wrap it in a satin scarf. I oil my scalp every two days and in between, I rub a moisturizing hair lotion on the flat style before wrapping it at night. So, I only comb it every other night. When I do, because of my flat style, it's easier to comb and I get less comb out.

Lady D said...

AWESOME! I'm a combo deal too, but more towards 4b. I'm gonna have to try that regimen and see if it'll work on my head :) Thanks for sharing!!

Lady D said...

AWESOME! I'm a combo deal too, but more towards 4b. I'm gonna have to try that regimen and see if it'll work on my head :) Thanks for sharing!!