Wednesday, June 23, 2010

YOU ARE WHAT YOU EAT



Sometimes I truly wonder how what I put in my body affects my hair. I used to take vitamin supplements that contained Biotin because my hair was really fragile (from all those relaxers and heat I suspect) and I wanted my hair to be stronger. I will say I found them to work quite efficiently, but anyone who knows me knows that I don't do well with pills, so what other options do I have?? I did some digging and found this nifty little guide, not sure how accurate it is, but I think it's a start.


Vitamin A - Promotes normal growth, healthy teeth, nails, hair, bones, glands. Essential for night vision. Found in fish liver oils, dairy products, liver, dark green/yellow vegetables, pumpkin.


Vitamin B-1 (Thiamin) - It is essential for healthy growth of hair, skin, muscles, brain and nervous system. Is useful in times of stress and have also been used to treat fatigue, irritability, and depression. Found in green vegetables, corn , potatoes, oats, rice plums, raisins, nuts, yeast, ham.


Vitamin B-2 (Riboflavin) - Prevents dandruff and helps with the absorption of iron. Found in liver, cheese, milk, eggs, avocados, green/yellow vegetables, grains, nuts.


Vitamin B-3 (Niacin) - Produces blood flow to the follicle to produce hair growth. Found in lean meats, liver, poultry, fish, cheese nuts, prunes, potatoes.


Vitamin B-5 (Pantothenic Acid) - Produces hair growth and stimulation of new growth. Found in beef, chicken, liver, eggs, salmon, clams, royal jelly, rice, avocados, grains, nuts.


Vitamin B-12 (Cyanocobalimin) - Stimulates hair growth. Found in beef, liver, egg yolks, crab, clams, sardines, salmon, oysters, herring.


Biotin Vitamin H (Biotin) - Thickens the hair strand. Found in peanut butter mushrooms brown rice, bulgur, oats, beef liver, royal jelly, nuts, egg yolks, chicken, soybeans, sardines, yeast, milk.


Folic Acid (Part of B-Complex) - Cell renewal to grow hair. Found in liver, grains, nuts, yeast, dates, oranges, green leafy vegetables, brown rice.



Adjust your diets accordingly! Hope this helps you on your journey to healthy Natural Hair!!