Thursday, June 9, 2011

THE X-FACTOR: HUMIDITY






Picture this: *cue Summertime by Fresh Prince* You walk out into this gorgeous weather we're having looking your summer flyyest and exactly 2.5 minutes later that super cute press, twist-out, or rollerset that you played with til perfection has COMPLETELY crumbled. I mean not ONE sign of a curl or wave, absolutely nothing. Well ladies you have been attacked by our style's worst enemy....HUMIDITY.

I cannot tell you how many times this has happened to me. I mean I thought that my twist-outs and such would hold up in such humidity, apparently I was mistaken AND doing something wrong.

For starters, I, for some unknown reason, would underestimate how humid it really was. I know it's not ATL humid *THANK HEAVENS*, but it's enough to make me feel sticky-icky just walking to the car. Then, I wasn't using the right products. None of what I was using had anything to protect my hair from the moisture in the atmosphere. Finally I was choosing the wrong style for the day. Enough said.

Never fear!! You can have Humidity-retardant hair with these simple tips:


* Try rocking styles that force your hair to stay in place ie. box-braids (plaits), flat-twists, or cornrows

* Play around with pin up styles and buns. These keep most of your hair HIDDEN and away from the moisture in the air

* Leave-in conditioners not only help keep your hair moisturized, but they also help tame some of that frizz

* Use styling aids designed to resist humidity. There are plenty of 'Anti-Frizz' options, so try some out and mix them with products that enhance your curl pattern

* And if all else fails (or you're lazy like me) a simple W&G is AWESOME! Or keep some headbands and hair accessories when things really get outta control, lolol



If it's gonna be a high humidity day, why aggravate yourself? Your hair IS going to struggle, so govern yourself accordingly.


HAPPY STYLING!!

2 comments:

Jasmine said...

Good tips I'm gonna try a braided up do with a draw string ponytail.

Lady D said...

Thanks, I'm still not sure what I'm gonna do...more than likely it'll be W&G hahaha