Wednesday, February 16, 2011

BACK to BASICS: DETANGLING



OH BOY have I been through the ringer with this one. I had no idea that I needed to detangle my hair and furthermore once I found out that I did, I didn't have so much as a clue how to do it.

My stylist always used a wide tooth comb, so I followed her lead on that plus using small tooth combs always made me feel like my hair was snagging, even when I was relaxed. Then she introduced the Denman Brush. *HEAVEN*

Alright, so when Detangling, here's a few key things I've found that helps:

* Do it when you hair is wet AND has conditioner in it - We all know dry brushing/combing our hair a NO-NO, so I won't beat you over the head with that, but for a while I was detangling with no conditioner :( It was snapping LEFT AND RIGHT, it MUST be coated!!

* You must be gentle. Our hair has too many curls and kinks and being rough with it can cause our hair to snap at those curly/kinky points.

* Section your hair - it makes it SO much easier and you get a more thorough detangle

and MOST importantly: GO TIP TO ROOT!!

Here are a couple of vids to guide you on your journey

2 comments:

MagnificentReign said...

As much as I love my Denman brush, I must say I have been converted to another great tool. The Tangle Teezer. NikkiMae just did a great review on it on youtube but there are plently reviews to watch. I got mine from Sally's for $9.99. It is even more gentle than a modified Denman. It easily cut my detangling time down by 60% with very little hair lost when compare with my Denman. Definitely something to check into!

Lady D said...

YES!!! I'm not a convert yet, but I probably will be. Sally's by me is out so I've ordered it online. Can't wait to try it!!!