Friday, March 11, 2011

SELF TRIMMING



I was randomly checking my hair one Saturday morning and noticed the very beginnings of split hairs **FAINT** I scheduled my appointment STAT and made sure she knew I wanted a trim. Prior to this I had hyped myself up to do it myself because I knew it was time. I went and bought trimming shears from Sally's, gave myself the 'Big Girl' pep talk, but of course, in the eleventh hour when faced with reality of actually doing it, I chickened out :( I justified this of course by saying "I'll let her get me started, I'll do it next time," lolololol.

I am SCARED TO DEATH to trim my own hair. I'm sure it's all in my head and I'm being super dramatic, but nonetheless if I ever plan on being completely self-sufficient when it comes to my hair I need to get over this hurdle. I would much rather rely on my stylist b/c I'm afraid I'll cut too much or make it uneven or whatever, I blame my Libra scale for making me have everything balanced ;)

For those who are struggling like me, these are the Trimming 101 Basics I've found:

* Invest in the RIGHT kind of scissors. Dull scissors or scissors that aren't designed for cutting hair can actually damage you hair causing split ends. Use them ONLY for trimming, NOTHING else!

* Trim on DRY hair, wet hair will mask split ends (I'd take this one with a grain of salt, depends your personal preference)

Check out this site too. She gives step by step instructions on the different kinds of cutting shapes - U-shaped, V-shaped, Straight. EXTREMELY helpful!!

These vids were great in hyping me up as well:










So tell me, have you trimmed your own hair before? If so, what/how did you do it?

3 comments:

MissGChic said...

Two things. Ol girl in the first vid was going at her hair crazy with that brush. Looked like it hurt. She probably created some splits in that very moment.

I will be ok with life when my twists get the length of the girl's in the second vid. IDOL.

Black Cherry said...

I started my hair journey following these two. I Loves them.

S/N: I love the blog for cleveland natural hair girls.

Lady D said...

HA HA HA @MissGChic! yes, I love her hair too!

@Black Cherry THANKS HUN!!