Monday, March 21, 2011

WWYD: I HATE MY HAIR



What Would You Do (WWYD) if you came across teenage girls who HATED their hair?

I met 2 young ladies who have expressed how much they hate their hair. I mean they don't even LIKE their own hair. They prefer weave and believe me there's nothing wrong with that, but to the point where you think your hair is ugly?? WHAT???

I am so disturbed. I've always at least LIKED my hair, even if it is a Love/Hate relationship at times, but I've never PREFERRED something that wasn't mine over mine. Maybe it's just a phase I don't remember going through, IDK, but I do know that something must be done. There has to be a bigger issue.

Because they're a part of a local mentoring program, my aunt and I decided to host a session to talk about it. Now, here's where you all come in...how do you think we should address this? How would you go about trying to get someone to realize the beauty of their own hair?

Oh and **SHAMELESS PLUG** if you want to volunteer/help in any way, email me :D

2 comments:

Regina Langley said...

I would approach it the same way I did my skin. I used to hate my skin! I piled makeup on it and when I'd wash my face, there it was--the same old skin. So, I stopped wearing makeup and started working on the problems with it. I learned to cleanse, tone and moisturize. Now, I get compliments on my skin and all I wear is lipstick. Hence, what's wrong with your hair? See a doctor first to make sure there's nothing medically wrong with you. Then, see a professional stylist to get your hair to a natural, healthy state. Eat right. Get plenty of rest and exercise. Take a good multiple vitamin. Drink plenty of water. Stick to it and don't give up. It pays off. I know. Not only did I hate my skin. I hated my hair, too. I'm natural now with kinky twists. I've added hair because I don't like my hair short. My hair and scalp are healthy, chemical-free and growing beautifully. Sounds like a commercial, doesn't it?

Lady D said...

LOLOL, you do, but I think that's the only way we can sell it to them. There's more Naturalites in the media so I'll be pulling ads and stuff too. Thanks so much!! My mind is brewing and I'll def be expounding on your points!