Friday, June 22, 2012

FAKING THE FUNK



How would you feel if you saw a picture of someone on a Natural Hair website with absolutely gorgeous hair that you used as your muse then found out later it was fake hair?  Would you feel betrayed or feel like it was false advertising?  Well apparently there have been pics surfacing everywhere of this type and folks are not happy about it. 

Interestingly enough, I just had this convo with a lady in the brow salon.  She said that in her Facebook profile she was wearing a half-wig and people were commenting on her picture about how gorgeous her hair was and they looked up to her for inspiration.  She didn't know how to respond to it, so she took down the picture.  Now me, I told her that she should've told them it was a wig and for $19.99 they could have that gorgeous hair too.  *shrug*  Just be real.  I don't think folks will mind and the majority have had weave at some point in our lives...it's not that big of a deal.  It is just hair.

What are your thoughts?  Does it bother you when people are perpetrating on Natural Hair?

2 comments:

Jocelin Thomas said...

I don't understand why there would be any harsh feelings or betrayal. The natural hair community pushes protective styling and for some of us that means wigs and weaves. Since being natural I have worn a wig twice and I am sure it was obvious it wasn't my hair. But when people asked I gladly let them know what it was and where I bought it. I didn't see it as perpetrating, honestly all I was thinking about was keeping my hands out of my hair for a few weeks. I agree with you that it's just hair, fake or real, it's still just hair.

Lady D said...

Thanks Joce! I guess some people feel like it's false advertising.