Monday, July 9, 2012

THAT'S ALL THE HAIR YOU GOT?!



So I had a convo with one of my male friends and here's how it went:

Him: 'How long have you been natural?' 
Me: '5 years.'
Him: 'That's all the hair you got?!' 
Me: 'What do you mean?'
Him: 'I mean why don't you have more hair than that? Shouldn't it be down your back or something?' 

Now.  I could've flown off the handle and been offended by what he said BUT having asked myself this same question several times in my journey I understood where he was coming from.  He expected my hair to just grow out the wazoo and be down to my butt with the snap of a finger.  I did too - TOTALLY UNREALISTIC.  

As we all know, my hair is Type 4 all the way and shrinkage is a B! round these parts, so you could definitely be fooled by thought of not having a lot of hair, especially if you're in my category.  However, after 5 years of being natural, I've come to some hard realizations about my hair.  

It took me the longest to accept the fact that my hair does not grow fast. It just doesn't. Don't like it. Wish it were different. Oh well.  It's genetics.  I can't expect to have long flowy hair when my mother and father don't.  I definitely got my thickness from them.  I wish I could've gotten my grandma's genes too..Hair was long, but very fine.  Imagine that..Thick BSL hair naturally *wishful thinking* I digress..

I've also had to swallow the pill that the majority of the time, Foxy does what Foxy wants to do when she wants to do it.   Enough said. 

I didn't like these facts, but hey what could I do?   I could wallow over my hair not being a certain length or I could accept them for what they are and deal with what I have.  I am so glad chose the latter.

I love Foxy's kinks and curls - in all her thick and dense glory. It may not be super long like my muse, Corrinne Bailey Rae, yet, but it's getting there.  So when people come up to you questioning why your hair isn't like this or that, pay them no mind.  Don't be discouraged, your hair is gorgeous! Embrace it ALL!!

2 comments:

Gigi of FashionLoveAffairs.com said...

whoa. your immediate response should have been a physical one. A slap across the face.

Aside from hair type or genetics, we can not keep every inch of hair we grow. It gets old, sheads and breaks regardless how careful we are.

Lady D said...

Lol. Nah. I understood him. You are absolutely right! 100% retention is not possible