Friday, August 3, 2012

GABBY, STRAIGHT HAIRED NATURALS...AND MORE




First off CONGRATULATIONS TO GABRIELLE DOUGLAS FOR BEING THE FIRST AFRICAN AMERICAN FEMALE TO WIN THE GOLD IN THE GYMNASTICS INDIVIDUAL ALL-AROUND CATEGORY!!!  IT DOESN'T STOP THERE, SHE'S THE FIRST AMERICAN GYMNAST TO WIN GOLD IN BOTH THE INDIVIDUAL AND TEAM ALL-AROUND COMPETITION AT THE SAME OLYMPICS!! MAJOR PROPS ARE IN ORDERS!!!!!

SO.  I'm about to have a little venting session.  Over the past week (or so) I've been seeing a reoccuring theme in our Natural Hair Community where people are going overboard with this Natural thing.  People are calling in the guards over Naturals who opt to wear their hair straight over curly; folks getting all excited about Alicia Keys' HAIRCUT and calling it a BC or Oprah's big hair reveal on the cover of her magazine; and something or other about Gabby's hair.   It's like Naturals Gone Wild around this joint!!  I need whoever is leading this infantry to have 13 seats in the back. 

I see why some women distance themselves from "The Natural Hair Movement."  It can be a bit much.  I read this article "In Defense of the Straight-haired Natural Girl" and totally feel her.  I mean maybe it fits their lifestyle better or maybe they actually like it better that way....who knows??!!  I am not one to criticize how people choose to wear their hair. I mean, it is THEIR hair.  Do what you will.  But more and more I'm seeing some level of "bullying" because people feel you're not being "REAL" enough if you don't rock your curls.  Overit.org. 

I am usually mum about the whole exploitation of being Natural (and Real), but this whole incident about Gabby's hair took me to a whole 'nother level.  Baby Girl is making history and we are discussing her hair???  I.ABSOLUTELY.CANNOT.  If anything we should be praising her for her accomplishments and not becoming another statistic!! And if we must talk about 16 year olds, let's talk about the real issues they're dealing with. 

I am so over the Hair Brigade PERIOD.  It's just not that deep.  I'm Team Natural all the way, but I'm not about to make everything people do about "The Movement."  #ENDRANT

What are your thoughts?

No comments: