Sunday, October 31, 2010

NATURAL HAIR IN THE WORKPLACE


Do you ever get compliments on your hair from your coworkers?? I find in my all white everything environment, they LOVE my hair. I mean LOVE my hair. Since I have my weekly routine of DC and protective styling they're so curious as to what my hair is gonna look like on a weekly basis. I find this extrememely funny and comforting. It allows us to talk [more like me educate them] about my hair in a non-threatening manner.

I remember when I first wore my afro to work. I was having one of my many infamous hair funks and had an attitude for whatever reason, so I tied my scarf around my W&G and walked out the house. I was afraid of what they would say and how they would react, but surprisingly they welcomed it. It was on like popcorn from then on.

I have, however, talked with other people who have had the opposite happen to them. It's so unfortunate too. I look at it like what does my hair have to do with anything? Am I completing my assignments on time and with high quality? Alright then. [stopping my rant before I get started]

So whenever you're feeling particularly bold, go on girl, show them the REAL you. It's ok, you may actually be surprised. Just make sure you've accepted yourself FIRST, the rest will follow.

2 comments:

G.Danielle said...

Yeah, they be all over it. I believe that they are happy that we leave the straight hair to them. We were stealing their shine.

Can you blog some of these protective styles? I need ideas.

Lady D said...

LOLOL! I think they wish they could be as diverse with their hair.