Saturday, September 18, 2010

WHAT IS HENNA?



A while back, I posed a question
"Are you still considered Natural if you color your hair?" I thought about Henna, but since I was unfamiliar with it, I needed to do some serious research on what it actually it is and if it is REALLY considered "Natural?" *hence the long delay*

Here it goes...

What is Henna?

Henna [Lawsonia Inermis] is a flowering plant used to dye skin, hair, nails, leather, and wool.


HENNA QUICK FACTS:

* Hair quality henna is not fine, it's chunky. It does not provide a robust, permanent color, and is hard to rinse from your hair

* Body art quality henna is the finest quality pure henna for body art and hair coloring. It is pure lawsonia inermis, with a high natural dye content

*Henna is hypo-allergenic, allergic reaction to henna is extremely rare.


What are the benefits?

Strengthens/Conditions Hair - Henna has Lawsone, a tannin dye molecule, in its leaves. The lawsone molecule penetrates the hair shaft, binding with the keratin in the hair. This makes hair stronger. Once the lawsone coats the hair, it starts to penetrate the cuticle. This adds a second layer of strength, but it DOES NOT lock out moisture.

Smoother and Shinier Hair - Since Henna does not lock out moisture, the cuticle takes a lot less damage during styling making your hair feel smoother and glossy.

Treats dandruff - Many people who have itching, flaking scalps after dying with chemical dyes develop an allergic reaction. Henna is anti-fungal and is effective in restoring healthy skin and hair.

and finally....IT IS COMPLETELY NATURAL!!! *CHEERS* Almost ALL of the henna powders [ground plant leaves] only need to be combined with lemon juice, orange juice, grapefruit juice, or vinegar. So it's basically, the plant and whatever you mix it with!!


What are the disadvantages?

Hair Quality henna removal is nearly impossible :( {plug for using the better quality Body Art Quality Henna}

It is VERY time consuming. The paste has to set overnight, then once you apply it, it takes 2-4 hours to 'set' in your hair :.......(

It is EXTREMELY messy. See for yourself, here's a video on how to apply it. **looks like guacamole on her head**






Where to purchase?

Just about anywhere online and most Asian/Indian supermarkets. (Be sure to read your labels)


Where to find more info...

Mehandi

Henna for Hair

2 comments:

Regina Langley said...

Thanks for the skinny on henna and indigo. Were you able to find anything about testing for allergic reaction prior to using them? I couldn't find anything. Do you do a patch test on your skin? Or, do you do it to a particular part of your head? The information I got came from Wikipedia. Between what they had to say and what you found, I am convinced. Henna and indigo are natural. I'm allergic to everything and am afraid to give it a try. But, if you could find something about testing yourself for an allergy to them, that would be great. I'm kind of happy with my gray ends--they make me look like I have a halo. But, if I want to ever change my look by adding color, I would want to use something natural. I've been through alot the past twelve months growing out of a relaxer and color.

Lady D said...

From what I've read, dab a little on your forearm and wait about an hour. If nothing happens (besides a henna stain) you're ok.