Wednesday, April 27, 2011

HAIR FOOD: BEANS


{Source}


Beans, beans, they're good for your ... hair? YES, it is absolutely true! Legumes like kidney beans and lentils should be an important part of your hair-care diet because not only do they provide plentiful protein to promote hair growth, but ample iron, zinc, and biotin - which we know is important for beautifully strong hair as well.

I'm always on the hunt for new recipes and my coworker brought in Moujadara (Lentils and Rice), it was super tasty BTW, and I got to thinking to myself 'Beans are really good protein right? Hair is protein, so I wonder what beans are best for my hair?' Now I mostly eat beans with rice (and cornbread, lolol), so naturally I started wondering if rice affects hair as well...and you guessed it, it does!


Here's a compliation of beans/rice effects:



* Silica and Selenium - found in rice - keeps skin and scalp supple and elastic, adds shine, strengthens hair, and prevents hair loss

* Potassium - found in brown rice, black-eyed peas, and red beans - regulates circulation and promotes healthy hair growth

* Magnesium - found in red and black beans, black-eyed peas, and brown rice - works with calcium to promote healthy hair growth

* Manganese - found in brown and white rice, red and pinto beans, and black-eyed peas - prevents slow hair growth

* Iron and Folate - found in red, black, and pinto beans and black-eyed peas - strengthens hair, prevents hair loss and promotes hair growth




So there you have it, the dish on beans. The ADA, recommends 3 cups of lentils or beans every week, so get to cooking!


Do you have any good legume recipes you want to share?? I'm always open ;)

2 comments:

LNW said...

I easily get three cups of soybeans per week by eating edamame as a snack while sitting at my desk. You can find it in your local grocer's freezer section.

Lady D said...

I've wanted to try that for a long time now. What does it taste like?