Saturday, April 23, 2011

WEAVE ALLERGIES?



A Transitioner asked:


"Can you be allergic to weave? I'm transitioning and decided to get extensions to make my journey easier. I've recently gotten cornrows and I can't stand to have them in longer than a week. My scalp was beyond itchy and very red, clearly irritated. It'd gotten to the point where I just HAD to take them out! I've never had this issue before."



How timely. It's right about this time when my own scalp is starting to act a fool with my kinky twists {changed my mind on those Janet braids}. That good old 2 week mark. I guess my scalp still hasn't gotten used to the added hair. **SIDEBAR: I use my Lemon/Water mixture in between washes**

Ok so you don't usually think of people being allergic to weave, but it's true. Just like some people can't handle certain foods, some crowns of glory simply CANNOT handle weave.

If you're allergic, your symptoms would start happening almost immediately, I'd say definitely within the first 3 days. There'd be a burning sensation on your scalp - where it feels like it's on fire, little bumps would start to appear, and rashes would pop up anywhere the hair touches. You would be wanting to snatch that weave out just as quick as you got it in. For most folks the pain in unbearable.

If you're NOT allergic, your symptoms would definitely be a little less dramatic. Mostly your scalp would be itchy and flaky.

So based on your symptoms girly, I'd say you might be allergic to that particular weave :(

No comments: