Thursday, April 14, 2011

REALLY??


{Source}

So this weekend while out celebrating my girls' birthday, I was rocking my 'fro with a flower. Nothing major - or so I thought. THREE guys came up to me and said something about me and my hair....it was um...interesting. I still don't know how I feel about it.


Guy #1: You know, you're kinda funny acting, I mean I can just tell with your fro and all. You came up in here all Black Power. It's intimidating.

Guy #2: I didn't expect you to kick it like you're doing right now. I expected you to be snooty with your fro and all.

Guy #3: You know..you have to have a LOT of confidence to wear your hair all out like you do. It's (pause) different. I mean, it's not what I'm used to seeing. I think I like it.


Now, I was just out and about kicking it with my girls. I'm not one who walks in a spot and screams 'HERE I AM WORLD!' Negative. I'm the opposite. I do NOT consider myself arrogant or overly confident or super soul sista at all. So when those guys came up to me, it definitely caught me off guard. I was just being lazy, didn't feel like doing my hair for real and just did my W&G.


With Guy #1 - I was offended at first then I was intrigued. I mean where did he get that from?? He didn't have a real answer, so I kept it moving.

With Guy 2 - I guess I should take this as a compliment. We can have just as much fun as the next chick...it has nothing to do with how we wear our hair.

With Guy 3 - I'll take this as a compliment. Not like I need him for validation of anything, but just that guys in Cleveland are warming up to us Natural sistas.

What do y'all think? What reactions are y'all getting when you're rocking your Natural 'dos?

2 comments:

MagnificentReign said...

I have yet to wear a full blown fro out but I've gotten generally good feedback while just wearing my natural curls or a twist-out. That whole "fro and all" phrase probably would have offended me. But I think that their comments are interesting. I like picking people's brains and I'll talk to just about anybody lol. So I think this probably would have made for some pretty interesting convo.

Lady D said...

I wish I could've talked to all the guys a little longer too. I guess it caught me of guard b/c they were back to back days of them saying something. It was definitely interesting, but go on girl rock your fro ;)