Wednesday, January 5, 2011

1...BREATHE...2...BREATHE...3...BREATHE...



My sentiments EXACTLY!! I bout blew a gasket!!

Here's the scoop:

A friend recommended her stylist to another friend so she went. She said he sounded like he knows his natural stuff, but...he told her that you should never go 6 months without straightening your hair. He said wearing it curly your ends are not sealed, the blow dryer is not terrible for your hair because spending the same time under the dryer dries out your scalp. Straightening every two weeks makes the hair more manageable. He said he can tell when people do their own natural hair cause the ends look unkempt. He said her hair was resisting going straight.

So now can you see why I almost blew a gasket?? Let’s break this particular stylist’s POVs down.

He told her that you should never go 6 months without straightening your hair wearing it curly your ends are not sealed. UM SIR – where are you getting your facts?? I know plenty of NATURAL women who don't get their hair straightened for years and it's GORGEOUS. So what if you’ve BC’d and don’t have enough hair to get it straightened are you saying it’s still not going to be healthy… I digress… I don’t know what he meant by sealed, but there are plenty of ways to seal your ends isn't that the point of ProStyling, Baggie-ing, etc... *justsayin*

Straightening every two weeks makes the hair more manageable – NO what it actually does is causes you to lose your naturally curly texture *BEENthereDONEthat* Your hair is manageable whether it’s straight or curly. It’s all about knowing how to manage your hair. Clearly he wants those duckets :/ and furthermore that much heat can be damaging especially in the summer time when you already have the sun...

He said he can tell when people do their own natural hair cause the ends look unkempt. – I beg to differ…but that’s all I’m gonna say.

He said her hair was resisting going straight – NO you just didn’t know how to do it properly. Yes I’ll admit, it’s pretty scary to get your hair to straightened after months of not, but all you (or your stylist) need to do is to put your back into it and you’re good…check my hair. It may take a little longer, but it CAN be done WITHOUT resistance. He may need a tutorial or two.

I don't know about you, but homeboy does not sound like he knows what he's doing AT ALL. I would have to cut him loose. It seems to me that all he knows how to do with us Naturalites {and Transitioners} is straighten us.
Natural hair is too versatile to be conformed to just straightened hair, unless that's what YOU want. But as for me and my hair, the sky is the limit and I will not let a stylist try to limit me based upon their limited styling capabilities.


What are your thoughts??

2 comments:

Miss G Chic said...

Yeah, as naturals we think we know it all. LOL. Like I seriously don't believe that a hair stylist that does not specialize natural hair knows more about my hair than me. Not saying I am never going back, I just take what they say with a grain of salt.

They use any old product in your hair. They tell us nothing about moisturizing when away from their shop. They have no qualms with heat at all.

I could go on. My point is, to them hair appearance is number one, while hair health is somewhere by the waste side.

They need more people.

Lady D said...

Completely agree...they're supposed to be a resource. I love mine, she gives me the real deal ALL the time. I take the meat and throw away the bone.